This month is my podcastiversary, not of me podcasting but of me listening to podcasts. I started listening in August ’05. I still remember how I found out about podcasts. I was working my first summer job and my mp3-player died. I stopped by the Fnac (love that store, they sell tech, books, cd’s, dvd’s,…) and they had a sale on iPods. The new iPod Photo had just come out so the old model was discounted. When I came home I installed iTunes and started copying all my songs to my iPod. While this was going I started exploring iTunes. I checked out the store and saw all these free ‘podcasts’. I decided to check out a couple of them. It was free so what was the harm? I think the first couple I downloaded where Kermode & Mayo’s Film Reviews and Pottercast. I was hooked. This was like radio, but better. These were intelligent and funny people talking about topics I was interested in.
Later that year Lost started (in Belgium). This was such an interesting show, and there was so much there. I felt like I was just scratching the surface, not understanding all that was there. I went looking for more information. I found the Lost Podcasting Network, with Jay & Jack, GSPN, Delta Park Project, The Transmission. The Lost Podcasting Network completely pulled me in to podcasting.
Now I listen to podcasts for several reasons. I listen to learn, to laugh, to hear about the lives of people I care about, to hear intelligent people discuss topics I’m interested in. I can’t imagine my laugh without podcasts anymore. Because of podcasts I met a lot of great people, who became first online and later face-to-face friends.
Here’s a list of the shows I currently listen to. If you have suggestions of more to check out please let me know.
- Bagel Tech Foto: discusses the latest photography news and answers listener questions.
- Bagel Tech News: short overview of the last day’s tech news.
- Best of Youtube: the best Youtube videos.
- Delta Park Project: a network with several pop culture related podcasts, including one for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Lost and a Big show (I’m a Prime member).
- Friday Night Comedy: comedy show about the week’s news.
- Fringecasting with Wayne and Dan: podcast about the Fox show Fringe (check Fringe out as well, one of the best shows currently on tv).
- Geekbeat.tv: short video podcast with the latest tech news and short tech reviews.
- Girls Night In Radio: Rachel, Maggie and Jaime review movies and talk about everything.
- Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing: short podcast with tricks for better grammar.
- GSPN.tv: podcasting network with family, technology and entertainment podcasts. Favourites are Full Time Mom, Social Media Serenity and Help I Got A Mac (I’m a Plus member).
- House Call Doctor’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Health: tips about health and diseases.
- Katia and Kylie Mac: 2 expats (1 Australian and 1 American) discuss living in Paris and have interesting conversations with interesting people.
- Loaded: short video podcast with latest tech news.
- Maggie’s World Podcast: Maggie (from Girls Night In Radio) shares what’s going on in her life.
- Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo’s Film Reviews: Mark and Simon review the latest movie releases and the movie top 10. Legendary for the Kermodean rants.
- Modern Manners Guy’s Quick and Dirty Tips for a More Polite Life: tips about etiquette.
- My Intercontinental Life: Anne talks about what’s going on in her life.
- Nobody’s Listening: a clean comedy podcast telling funny life stories.
- Pink Acres: a suburban mom and her city sister share what’s going on in their lives.
- Podcast Kid: Jenna the podcast kid discusses topics important to kids.
- Popspotting: Jen and Ryan discuss tv shows, movies, music and challenge listeners to trivia.
- QN Podcast (formerly Quirky Nomads): an eclectic podcast that tells short stories.
- the Ramen Noodle: clean comedy podcast where Daniel and Jeremy share funny things that have happened to them or they’ve come across.
- The Signal: podcast about Firefly, with articles and original audio dramas.
- The Break with Father Roderick: mix of news, tv shows, movies and info about catholicism.
- Stuff Mom Never Told You: what your mom never told you.
- Stuff You Missed in History Class: the facts about history you don’t learn in school.
- Stuff You Should Know: interesting podcast on a variety of topics.
- TV Rewind: covering tv news, looking back at the past week’s tv and looking forward at next week’s tv.
- The West Wing Podcast: Anne and Andreas discuss each episode of the West Wing.